See update below
I wanted to play around with Umbraco on the following set up:
- Umbraco 4.0.3
- Windows XP Pro SP3
- SQL Server 2008 Express
- IIS 5.1
- Web Platform Installer 2.0
Everything was going swimmingly well until I got to step 5 where I was being asked whether I wanted to install the Runway package. As is sometimes the case, I simply clicked on the “Next” button but then while it was processing, I decided that I actually didn’t want to install the “Runway” package and quickly checked the “clean install” radio button and resubmitted. Bad idea I know but needless to say that I got the error in the title of this post.
Now, I am not sure what I actually did to get things to work but I performed the following steps:
- This is most likely to have solved the issue:
- I deleted the Umbraco files under “C:\Inetpub\wwwroot” (Change as necessary).
- I downloaded the files from Umbraco rather than going through the Web Platform installer.
- I unzipped my files into”C:\Inetpub\wwwroot” (Change as necessary) and then ran through the installation again by going to http://localhost.
- Should the previous step not work, ensure that the SQL server instance could be accessed remotely by following the instructions here. Since SQL Server 2008 Express doesn’t come with the Surface Area configuration tool, these are the instructions that need to be followed. I doubt this was what solved the issue since I am developing everything locally.
Yes I know I should have let the Umbraco install run its course and simply remove the Runway package from admin. However, for all I know it’s the install of the Runway package that causes this issue. In any case, now the install has been successful and maybe someone might find this useful.
It seems very likely that the fact that I didn’t let the Umbraco run its course caused the problem above. Even though I could access the Umbraco admin, I couldn’t uninstall or install the “Runway” package properly. So in the end I decided to drop the Umbraco database and recreate a new one. After that I had no problems with the installation and everything is running smoothly.